Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bolos instead of Blogs

Shortly before publishing my very first blog entry, mere moments ago, I ran the spell check function on the Microsoft Word-ish composition program this blog site is allowing me to use (what an embarrassment it would be to have a spelling error so early on in the life of my blog.) I found it a bit ironic that the spell check did not recognize the word "blog" as a real word, when in fact, I was currently writing a blog. Some words the program suggested I use in place of my "error" were bloc, blouse, blows, and my favorite bolos. This prompted me to do a bit of research, and I found the blog of another guy who did a bit more research than I did, and he found that the first use of the word blog was in 1997. It began as "weblog" and, as everything tends to do, became abbreviated, in a way, to "blog" (we are all much too busy to bother ourselves with two syllable words!) Seeing that we have been using the word for almost 10 years, I would think someone would take the time to give a heads up to the spell checker to ignore the word. But they haven't, and I can't, so I'll deal.

FYI: When running spell check on this posting it also didn't recognize "weblog." Hmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just popped your blog comment cherry. Of course, that is the extent of my comment.